About Heather

My photo
Heather Diamond, M.Ed & Certified Integrative Health Coach, has 22 years of experience leading effective change in small and large educational systems, in her own life of continuous improvement opportunities, and as a graduate from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, NYC. The purpose of Heather's work, Heather Diamond Health (HDH), is to help identify and make changes you desire across the five interrelated domains of healthy living: physical, mental, social, emotional and spiritual. The ultimate vision is that ALL people are empowered to make changes for a healthier, happier life.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

The Wonder WOK

My almost 12 year-old daughter, Eva, is in a phase of asking me questions like, "If you had to use just one adjective to describe yourself, what would it be?" A recent one was, "If your house was burning down and you could only save three possessions, what would you save?"
My Wonder Wok...Snuggling with Friends

When she first asked me about my most prized possessions, I automatically thought of my cast iron skillet...the one I got when I turned 18 and moved into my first home (a $5000 used house trailer with blue carpet and a particle board kitchen). I had no clue how to cook anything beyond hamburger helper at the time, but that skillet patiently performed on demand and awaited better days. My skillet has the flavor and memories of 24 years worth of meals shared with lovers, meals prepared in celebration with friends and family, meals taken alone in silent contemplation, and meals served to nourish hungry kids. It has even absorbed a few tears along the way while I've stirred and cried my way through arguments and hurt feelings. I will probably cry when I pass it to Eva one day. However, I changed my mind about saving it during a fire. All sentiment aside, I was asked a very practical question that deserved a practical answer...the WOK!

So the wok is a wonder because it is light, versatile, and if you don't happen to live in Asia, enticingly exotic. It's similar to the iron skillet in some ways, but it's much easier to haul out of a burning house with your hands full of valuables. Of course, one could argue that the heavy iron skillet also makes a useful weapon in case a criminal set your house on fire. Nevertheless, I want to share what I know about the wok.

In my recent post entitled A Trick with Veggies, I shared how to make delicious soup with veggies that may be beginning to perish or simply have lackluster appeal to you because you've eaten them for three days in a row. Another option is to toss veggies into a hot wok with a high temperature oil for just a few minutes until they look appetizing and put them over a grain (rice, pasta, quinoa, etc.). You can add a protein (nuts, eggs, bite-sized cuts of meat) and spices or sauces to create whatever combo that you are either craving or simply that you have on hand. Here's a specific example, but remember to read it with your senses, using your imagination to re-create your own version for your own unique kitchen experience:

Ingredients:
  • garlic
  • ginger root
  • turmeric root
  • onion
  • collard greens
  • coconut oil
  • tamari (similar to soy sauce)
Method:
  • chop garlic, ginger, turmeric, and onion
  • slice collards off the center stem and stack the leaves
  • roll the leaves up together then slice them (in the same way a sushi chef slices a roll) into slivers - or really whatever size you want on your plate 
  • heat the wok empty (no oil or food) over medium to high heat
  • once wok is hot (a little smoky) add oil and move the wok around to coat the sides and bottom
  • give it a minute to heat the oil then add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, and onion
  • use a wooden spoon or the fancy flip of your wrist to move the food around until the smell is yummy and the onions are glassy
  • move the food to the side of the wok and add the collards
  • flip the collards until they look shiny with oil and are beginning to turn bright green
  • stirfry all the contents for a few more minutes until it the collards are tender enough but not too mushy - collards are resilient so they don't go all delicate and slimy like spinach can
  • douse the stirfry with tamari or soy sauce either directly into the wok or once it's on the plate - I like to do it in the wok and watch the steam rise, hear the sizzle, and smell the slight burn
  • use chop sticks and enjoy with a pot of green tea or sake while letting your wok cool
Clean your wok by knocking any extra stuck on food bits off under hot water with crumpled up tin foil or something like it (I have a small piece of stainless steal webbing that I use), but NO SOAP, then immediately dry it by wiping it out with a paper or cloth towel. Your wok will develop a grungy appearance that means you actually use it! The savory meals you make in it will seal in flavors and enhance your cooking and eating experience every time. Usually, there will be no stuck on food and all you will have to do is wipe it out dry. In other words, you can skip the rinse. If you over clean your wok, food will stick to it at and the wok will eventually rust. I have never used soap on cast iron OR my wok, and I have never gotten sick. Nor have the many people I've served.

Tips: Avoid cooking starches in your wok because they tend to stick. Add sauces at the end because they cool the veggies too much, causing them to potentially become mushy during the stirfry process. Add tougher veggies like carrots, green beans or mushrooms first and gentler veggies like broccoli or arugula last. Vary the colors so you don't end up with broccoli and leafy greens in the same dish. If you get the textures too soft for your taste, it can be a happy accident! Just refer to my previous post and make it into a creamy vegetable soup!

Tell me what you think, and I'll tell you what I think back.

Next up...Breakfast Routines!



4 comments:

  1. What is your favorite combination of veggies in the wok out of all you have tried?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite is the collard green example I gave because I grew up on the slimy southern boiled version cooked to death with a hunk of pork and a mountain of salt. I was absolutely thrilled to discover that greens could be a rich almost crisp bright color when cooked and taste so...whole. That said, last night I used swiss chard, kale, garlic, and yellow squash with coconut oil. It was fantastic. The sweetness of the chard balanced the bitterness of the kale. Of course the squash and coconut oil added sweetness too. I think it was especially sweet because the local grower that sold me those veggies at market was especially sweet. I've had a bit of salty food lately, so it was a welcome change.

      Delete
  2. I will try my next stir fry with coconut oil just for that reason. I bet it is nice with a bit of spice for balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I think the best spice balance with coconut is green curry paste or white pepper. I also like it with ginger, especially.

      Delete