About Heather

My photo
Heather Diamond, M.Ed & Certified Integrative Health Coach, has 22 years of experience leading effective change in small and large educational systems, in her own life of continuous improvement opportunities, and as a graduate from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, NYC. The purpose of Heather's work, Heather Diamond Health (HDH), is to help identify and make changes you desire across the five interrelated domains of healthy living: physical, mental, social, emotional and spiritual. The ultimate vision is that ALL people are empowered to make changes for a healthier, happier life.

Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Modern Cookie Jar

Have you ever found yourself enjoying something that for years you thought was totally uncool? This happens to me often, which probably means that right this very minute I am ignorantly missing out on something super cool. The most recent example of this self-induced injustice is the cookie jar.
The Cool Cookie Jar

I've always preferred savory to sweet flavors. Even as a kid, the idea of having a sweet tooth was lost on me. I shared this trait with my mother. Then and now, we both proudly declare that we "crave" salty french fries or cheese while others lament over their sugar addictions.  Digging a little deeper into this smug position we share, I've realized a few things. During an era of ladies' jazzercise classes and calorie counting madness, my mother left an impression on me with her lack of interest in sweet treats. It seemed that while so many role models were wrestling with the sugar monster, she was modeling that one could simply decide not to like certain offending foods. She conceded to having one small canister for my father's Little Debbie Snacks, but she was wasn't happy about it. Also, under no circumstances did she bake cookies, except to fulfill her family tea cake obligation at Christmas. Even now, at each Christmas gathering, she brings the tea cakes and comments that they turned out well because "...they aren't too sweet." This kind of parental conditioning along with my natural tendency toward savory foods, resulted in disdain for old-fashioned celebrations of sweet treats, like the iconic cookie jar.

How were you introduced to the idea of a cookie jar? The Cookie Monster? Your grandmother's kitchen? I remember asking about the huge glass jars tucked into back corners of the pantry storing things like bags of microwave popcorn. I was told that these relics were saved from my great grandparents' old country store where they sat at the counter filled with penny candies or homemade cookies. In this way, cookie jars became an antique idea. The very opposite of modern. Uncool.

Nearly thirty some odd years later, I snagged one as it was sitting empty in Mom's pantry to use for my sourdough bread starter, Claudia.  After downsizing my sourdough production to a large mason jar, I was left with this huge countertop vessel begging for a purpose. I don't know about you, but a thing without a purpose in my home haunts me until I do something about it.

About the same time, I began using almond pulp that was leftover from making almond milk for gravies and other sauces. It occurred to me that I could attempt a "not too sweet" grain-free cookie using the almond pulp. Well, it worked. I felt I was crossing some bridge back in time and through my oddly personal internal "rules" when I loaded the cookie jar with that first batch of cookies. I also felt like a total and true stay-at-home domestic matriarch for the first time ever, and it was...both sweet and powerful. Here's an example for cookies using almond pulp:

Ingredients (as fresh, real, whole, and simple as possible):

  • About one cup of almond pulp (best leftover from making almond milk)
  • Two eggs
  • Something sweet (sugar, date syrup, honey), about 1/4 cup
  • About 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
  • About 1/2 cup of any kind of nut butter
  • About 2 tablespoons of oil, butter, or ghee
  • About a tablespoon of salt
  • A dash of baking soda and a dash of baking powder
  • A handful of any nuts, seeds, chocolate chips that you desire
Method (...remembering that this is not a recipe or a test, but an invitation to learn by experimenting and playing with your food!):
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lay a sheet of parchment paper (or grease) a cookie sheet
  • Mix all ingredients, tasting and adding more of this or that to the batter until you like it (If the flavor of the batter is pleasing, you will most likely enjoy the cookie!).
  • Add wet or dry ingredients if needed to create a consistency that is sticky and wet, but plops off the spoon rather than dripping.
  • Plop spoonfuls of the batter about an inch apart and bake for 10 or 15 minutes until cookies are a bit springy when you press the middle. 
  • Let cool to room temperature and taste them! 
You cannot screw up. Nothing goes to waste. If a batch turns out too dry for your taste, dip them in your coffee or smear them with something creamy like peanut butter, hazelnut chocolate butter, whipped cream, or cream cheese. You could even serve them with ice cream for an ice cream sandwich effect. If they are too gooey (is there such a thing?) you could mash the whole batch up into a baking dish, cover it with chocolate or honey and re-bake for a brownie dish. But most of the time, even if they're a bit this or that, put them in the cookie jar and watch them shine! In my experience, there is something about the cookie jar that elevates their status with all who pass through.

Once my cookie jar was loaded, very sweet things started to happen. A neighbor passed through to deliver a message, but stopped mid-sentence when she saw the cookie jar. "What's this," she asked with a smile and without hesitating dipped her hand in to grab a cookie. A friend stopped by needing a sympathetic ear and ended up sampling and excitedly discussing the cookie ingredients. My daughter began asking permission to eat a cookie from the cookie jar as if it was a precious privilege in contrast to the lukewarm response to my constantly offering "healthy" snacks.  I, myself, experienced a new feeling of warmth radiating from the freshly loaded cookie jar as if the past few generations of kitchen goddesses in my family were smiling on me with approval. And here's the thing, these cookies are not junky processed sugar addiction starters and they are not inducing any sugar binges. It seems that the cookie jar content is far less important than the act of keeping a jar of love, stocked and accessible, in the family kitchen.

I write to help people improve their health by bringing more ease and pleasure to the kitchen...may the culture of your kitchen support your health and happiness!


2 comments:

  1. oooh I am trying this tonight! I just made some almond milk and was contemplating uses for the pulp, so the timing is perfect. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Let me know how it turns out. My last batch was best served with creamy peanut butter between two cookies for a yummy cookie sandwich.

      Delete